Professor Mik Fanguy of the College of Liberal Arts and Convergence Science and Scientific Communicator Dan Kopperud discuss research news, campus life, and upcoming events at KAIST in this weekly podcast. Join us to find out what’s happening around the campus.
KAIST Podcast Facebook:
20 March 2017 File Download: Season 7 Episode 04
- Prof. Cafer Yavuz describes the recent work of his research team to remove harmful contaminants from water using a nanoporous fluoropolymer that selectively captures organic molecules based on their size and charge.
13 March 2017 File Download: Season 7 Episode 03
- Sejin Kwon, Professor of the Rocket Lab at KAIST, provides some insights into the THAAD missile defense system in Korea and the geopolitical climate surrounding this development. He further discusses South Korea's role in space exploration and his lab's work on developing a rocket for a Korean lunar mission.
6 March 2017 File Download: Season 7 Episode 02
- Professor Daniel Saakes discusses a new strategy introduced by his team for moving everyday objects by using external vibration rather than wheels. Through this system, furniture can learn to move by itself, and Dr. Saakes demonstrated this through “Ratchair,” an award-winning self-moving chair.
27 February 2017 File Download: Season 7 Episode 01
- Jin-woo Han, a researcher at NASA Ames Research Center and graduate of KAIST, shares his research on radiation-tolerant electronics that led to him receive the prestigious 2016 Presidential Early Career Award from the While House and offers invaluable advice to KAISTians for a successful career.
12 December 2016 File Download: Season 6 Episode 10
- KAIST President Steve Kang reflects on his four-year term as president and about what’s next for KAIST, and Mik describes the results of the research he has been conducting related to Education 3.0.
22 November 2016 File Download: Season 6 Episode 9
- One of Mik's former students, Sangyun Kim, discusses his latest research into measuring brain states in people with depression and his upcoming project which uses TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation) to "reset" the brain back to baseline.
07 November 2016 File Download: Season 6 Episode 8
- Dr. Arthur Kramer, who is the director of the Beckman Institute and a professor at the University of Illinois, explains his research on the effects of exercise on brain health and cognitive function.
01 November 2016 File Download: Season 6 Episode 7
- KAIST Professor Hee-Sung Park drops by to discuss his latest discovery: a method to find and replicate erroneous modifications in proteins within the human body. This discovery will have important implications for developing treatments for a host of diseases, and Dr. Park and his colleagues recently published their findings in the renowned journal Science.
17 October 2016 File Download: Season 6 Episode 6
- Mik visits IROS (Intelligent Robots and Systems), the world’s largest robotics conference, to talk to KAIST Professor Hyunchul David Shim, winner of the Indoor Automated Drone Flying Competition. Jenny Mikesell then joins the show to talk about her new children’s art mural in the new international student center (W2-1).
10 October 2016 File Download: Season 6 Episode 5
- Randy Schekman, 2013 Nobel laureate in Physiology or Medicine, discusses the effects of journals, like Nature, Science, and Cell, on the way science is conducted and disseminated.
04 October 2016 File Download: Season 6 Episode 4
- KAIST alum and Indiana University Bloomington Professor Yong-Yeol Ahn teaches us what the human brain and social networks have in common.
26 September 2016 File Download: Season 6 Episode 3
- Serge Haroche, recipient of the 2012 Nobel Prize in Physics, discusses his research and answers the question, “Why study basic science?”
19 September 2016 File Download: Season 6 Episode 2
- Holly Wang returns to the studio as a guest host, and Mik interviews Prof. Hyunchul Shim about regulating unmanned aerial vehicles in Korean civil airspace.
05 September 2016 File Download: Season 6 Episode 1
- Mik sits down with Professor Hyeon-Jeong Suk, head of the Color Lab in the Department of Industrial Design at KAIST, and her PhD student Kyungah Choi, to discuss their recent research on the effects of classroom lighting on students’ cognitive function and learning outcomes.
07 June 2016 File Download: Season 5 Episode 12
- Mik sits down with KAIST President Steve Kang to discuss the highlights of the first half of 2016 as well as the recent proposal by the Department of Defense to end the alternative military service option for KAIST students. President Kang also talks about new architectural additions to the campus, including Da Vinici Hall, which will be under construction starting this summer.
23 May 2016 File Download: Season 5 Episode 11
- Dan talks to science writer Katie Bourzac about the relevance of journalism on research breakthroughs, and Holly Wang talks to KISA president Wajahat Tahir about the International Food Festival.
16 May 2016 File Download: Season 5 Episode 10
- Dan interviews researcher Seung Jun Lee from the Biomedical Science Department about his breakthrough treatment to control sepsis. Holly Wang interviews EFL professor Carter Payton about capoeira and also talks to Dawit Mureja Argaw, an international student, about the KAIST ONE Ethiopia event coming up this Thursday, 5/19.
- Video of Carter's capoeira class: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-WDCH1Ikc8
09 May 2016 File Download: Season 5 Episode 9
- Elliot Pulham, CEO of the Space Foundation, stops by to discuss cooperation between South Korea and the United States on lunar exploration and some the economic and policy issues of the space industry. He also weighs in on Elon Musk's recent tweet about a manned mission to Mars by 2018.
02 May 2016 File Download: Season 5 Episode 8
- Mik sat down with Nobel laureate Kurt Wuthrich to discuss how NMR can be used to see proteins in three or even four dimensions, and the wide-ranging medical applications of this technology.
25 April 2016 File Download: Season 5 Episode 7
- Mik talks to KAIST student, Young Jin Kim, who went on a student exchange to Technical University of Dortmund in Germany, and to Manuel Schmidt, a TU Dortmund student who is currently on exchange at KAIST. These students describe some of the unique aspects of student life and academics at TU Dortmund and the advantages of exchange experiences abroad in general. For more information about student exchange opportunities at KAIST, please visit the Student Mobility Fair in the W2-1 auditorium on Thursday, 4/28 at 2:30 pm.
18 April 2016 File Download: Season 5 Episode 6
- Mik attends the International Presidential Forum on Global Research Universities and talks to President Peretz Lavie of the Technion and President Jacques Biot of Ecole Polytechnique about the social responsibilities of higher education.
11 April 2016 File Download: Season 5 Episode 5
- Mik interviews Professor Christopher Fiorillo from the Bio and Brain Department of KAIST to find out more about how the brain works from the perspective of the neuron.
Download: Kaist Fiorillo Seminar pdf file
28 March 2016 File Download: Season 5 Episode 4
21 March 2016 File Download: Season 5 Episode 3
- Sony Chindada interviews Renjing Cao, former KAISTian and current CTO of Minyang Wind Power Co., China's largest wind power company.
14 March 2016 File Download: Season 5 Episode 2
- How can drones make KAIST campus safer? Find out as Mik interviews Prof. Jim Morrison in the Industrial and Systems Engineering Department at KAIST.
07 March 2016 File Download: Season 5 Episode 1
- Mik introduces “the mystery co-host” of the KAIST Podcast. He also announces the newly updated e-newsletter, KAIST Breakthroughs (www.breakthroughs.kaist.ac.kr), published biannually by the College of Engineering at KAIST.
07 December 2015 File Download: Season 4 Episode 10
- Mik interviews Tim as he prepares to leave KAIST.
30 November 2015 File Download: Season 4 Episode 9
- Mik talks with the author of The Mass Effect.
16 November 2015 File Download: Season 4 Episode 8
- Mik talks with KAISTian Paolo Venneri about interning at NASA.
09 November 2015 File Download: Season 4 Episode 7
- Dan Kopperud from IBS joins the show to introduce Tim Hunt's speech.
26 October 2015 File Download: Season 4 Episode 6
- Tim interviews Thomas Vigild from Denmark about creative education and talks to Edrick Kwek about the KISA International Sports Festival.
12 October 2015 File Download: Season 4 Episode 5
- Join us as Tim inteviews Dr. Wonjoon Kim from the business department about his trip to Brazil.
05 October 2015 File Download: Season 4 Episode 4
- In this episode Mik chats with the faces of the CBE podcast and we welcome Dan Kopperud from the IBS to the studio.
21 September 2015 File Download: Season 4 Episode 3
- In this episode Tim interviews Dr. Juan Carlos Algaba from KASI about AGNs.
14 September 2015 File Download: Season 4 Episode 2
- In this episode Mik interviews Dr. Eric Mazur from Harvard about using technology to flip classrooms.
07 September 2015 File Download: Season 4 Episode 1
- In our first episode of the fourth season Mik interviews Dr. Jun-Ho Oh from the HUBO lab about the huge DARPA win and what's next for HUBO plus we announce some big changes to the podcast.
08 June 2015 File Download: Season 3 Episode 12
- In our Season 3 Finale Mik sits down with KAIST president Steve Kang, Tim and Holly learn about KAIST's carillon, and we chat with graduate student Do Yeon Kwak.
01 June 2015 File Download: Season 3 Episode 11
- This week we focus on nuclear safety by interviewing the Director-General of the OECD Nuclear Energy Agency William Magwood, the president of KINS Dr. Moo Hwan Kim, and Mik chats with a representative of KAIST's magic club Mindfreak.
18 May 2015 File Download: Season 3 Episode 10
11 May 2015 File Download: Season 3 Episode 9
04 May 2015 File Download: Season 3 Episode 8
27 April 2015 File Download: Season 3 Episode 7
06 April 2015 File Download: Season 3 Episode 6
30 March 2015 File Download: Season 3 Episode 5
23 March 2015 File Download: Season 3 Episode 4
16 March 2015 File Download: Season 3 Episode 3
09 March 2015 File Download: Season 3 Episode 2
02 March 2015 File Download: Season 3 Episode 1
01 December 2014 File Download: Season 2 Episode 10
17 November 2014 File Download: Season 2 Episode 9
10 November 2014 File Download: Season 2 Episode 8
3 November 2014 File Download: Season 2 Episode 7
27 October 2014 File Download: Season 2 Episode 6
- Our producer, Saeed, joins Tim as the cohost for this episode while Mik was out in the field interviewing two prominent KAIST alumni and chatting with George Blumenthal, Chancellor of UC Santa Cruz. Join us for this networking-themed episode.
13 October 2014 File Download: Season 2 Episode 5
- Join Mik and Tim and they talk with KAIST alum Frederic Huyssen about brewing beer. Tim also chats with KISA president Amalina Wahab about the International Food Festival. The guys mention a KAIST professor who was nominated for a Nobel Prize and share a few events.
6 October 2014 File Download: Season 2 Episode 4
- Bonus wine festival audio from Mik:
- In this episode Tim chats with STP professors ChiHyung Jeon and YoonJung Lee and Mik gets the inside scoop at the Daejeon International Food and Wine Festival.
29 September 2014 File Download: Season 2 Episode 3
- In this episode our correspondent Sony chats with Professor Chul Park about taking nuclear waste to Venus. Tim chats with Karim Charfi about KAIST ONE and Jisu Yeon about the KAIST Fall Festival.
22 September 2014 File Download: Season 2 Episode 2
- In this episode Mik interviews the KAIST Cycling Club after a mountain bike ride, Mik and Tim discuss keeping your bike safe on campus, and Tim interviews this year's KAIST Festival manager.
15 September 2014 File Download: Season 2 Episode 1
- Welcome to the new season of the podcast! Mik and Tim discuss the pros and cons of Google Glass, Mik interviews our first correspondent, Sony, about the new student building on campus, and Tim chats with one of the founders of the Humans of KAIST Facebook page.
1 September 2014 File Download: Season 2 Preview
- Mik and Tim let you know what we have planned for the fall 2014 semester. It includes YOU!
16 June 2014 File Download: Episode 10
- In the final episode of season 1, Tim discusses filming on campus with The Gadget Show and Mik sits down for a chat with KAIST President Steve Kang.
2 June 2014 File Download: Episode 9
- In this episode Tim tours SATREC, we explore KAIST's coffee shops, and have some big news about Kenya.
26 May 2014 File Download: Episode 8
- This week Tim visits the Saudi Aramco-KAIST CO2 Management Center, Mik talks to a phychiatrist, and we let you know what's happening around campus.
19 May 2014 File Download: Episode 7
- This week Mik introduces us to a KAIST breakthrough in nanogenerators using kinetic energy, Tim revisits his childhood with a Star Wars-themed topic "Luke Arm", they tell you all about the KAIST library, and let you know what's happening around campus.
13 May 2014 File Download: Episode 6
- Mik and Tim discuss KAIST's rank in various global university rankings and areas where KAIST can improve. They also describe their experiences at the Pappalardo Medical Center and let you know what's happening on campus and around town later this month.
28 April 2014 File Download: Episode 5
- In this episode, Tim tours the National Nanofab Center and shares what he learned, Mik tells you where and how to work out on campus, and the KAIST Composer Group helps us relax and prepare for the second half of the semester.
21 April 2014 File Download: Episode 4
- In this powerful episode, Tim talks about using body heat to power wearable electronics. Mik explains how wireless power will change the world, and the Daejeon City Philharmonic is coming to KAIST on April 30. They also point out some amusing English signs and announce upcoming campus events.
14 April 2014 File Download: Episode 3
- Mik talked to Dr. Philip Campbell, the Editor-in-Chief of Nature, about the future of scientific publishing.
Dr. Campbell visited the campus on April 8, 2014 and gave a public talk. Tim and Mik also discussed discounted tickets to cultural events, the KAIST geese, and upcoming campus events.
8 April 2014 File Download: Episode 2
- In this episode, Mik and Tim discuss the origin and repair of the Carillon, D'Light (kinetic lighting system) and creativity, and the Happy Campus event known as the Strawberry Party where drones will attack KAIST with the delivery of strawberries, as well as share what's happening on campus this week.
3 April 2014 File Download: Episode 1
- Tim and Mik talk about ScreenX (270 degrees, ultra-wide movies on three walls), JEROS (a robot that terminates jellyfish), the Distinguished Lecture Series, KAIST ONE (Overseas Networking Exchange) event, and announcements for upcoming events.